Sunday, January 11, 2015

Back to the Mountains

I just had to go back to this amazing hike we did back in September. We had been trying to plan a hike to Mount Timpanogos for months and we had finally set a date. The morning started out very early and very cold (1 am and 11 degrees). After hiking for awhile we began to shed a few layers. In the darkness all we could see were headlamps trailing up the mountain giving us an idea of the direction we were headed. Which was pretty much ....strait up. I was very paranoid that someone was going to fall or slip with it being pitch black and all, I had heard stories, so I kept reminding everyone to keep their heads on the path and no looking up! As the mountain got steeper our stops became more frequent. I swear the last section of mountain felt like we were hiking to Mordor. But I can say that the view was well worth it! We had about 20 minutes at the top before the sun began to rise which was just enough time to get our beanies out, gloves on, and cameras ready. As we looked out we were the highest peak for as far as we could see- we were on top of it all. I can't even imagine what being atop Mount Everest must feel like. To bad we will never know. ha. We stayed on the summit for  about 45 minutes feeling the sunshine on our faces. Then it was time to hike back down. You'd think that down would be easy but I feel like it was even harder because our legs had turned to jello from the way up. The people who were running to the top and then passing us on the way back down, yeah, they made us feel real out of shape. But with good memories, sore ankles, and tired eyes we made it to the parking lot. I definitely would recommend this baby for anyone up for adventure. 



















No comments:

Post a Comment