Wednesday, July 8, 2015

There's nothing like the Fourth

First off, I want to say that I LOVE three day weekends. Why? Well, more time with my man of course! Secondly, I love the Fourth of July. All of that being said, this past weekend was exceptionally spectacular. 

When thinking about the Fourth of July family gatherings always come to mind. This year was a little different because we are out here in California. As much as we missed all of our family back in Utah, this lead to new opportunities and memories with some of our new friends! 

We started things off early on Thursday night with some golf with our friends, Dave and Maddie. They are also out here for a summer internship. Everyone golfed but me. My belly would have been in the way anyways. Until this night I really have never had a desire to learn. But something lit a spark in me and next year when the weather is nice again, Tay is going to teach me! 
Taylor had work off on Friday (HALLELUJAH)  and so we went into the city and did the usual touristy stuff. We weren't even ashamed. You got to get to know the city somehow, and the touristy sites are the perfect way to start. We went with our friends Steven and Jarelle and their cute little girl, Evelyn. They also brought some friends along, Hedi and Spencer. Good group. 

We started off at the Pink Ladies. Two of them were under construction (sadly) but I carefully placed the fountain in the way of them. It partially worked. 

There are so many different places to view the Golden Gate Bridge. This trip we visited another site and even walked out on the bridge about half way. One of these days we will get a picture of it with blue skis and zero clouds. ha. In my dreams. 





Ghirardelli square was definitely a must after eating lunch and all the walking. You could have a monkey pick something off the menu and you'd be delighted. You just can't go wrong. Taylor and I decided to share a mint milkshake. I am really surprised he went for the whole sharing thing. He usually gives me a strait up NO. He claims that when we share I just end up eating all of it. Which is somewhat true. I think every girl does it though. With "sharing" you don't feel as guilty. Whose with me? 



 On Saturday morning we went to a local parade in San Jose. A successful Fourth of July has to have a parade in there somewhere. The majority of it was Volvo's and old cars, which are cool, but after about 100 you want to see something new. The parade didn't let us down in the end. We had the bag pipes, the karate class, the Army tanks, the kids on their decorated bikes, all 5 scout troops in the area, and the roller derby girls. I think the most entertaining part was watching a float made of solely balloons try and pass under the drooping trees in front of us. Our Ahhhhh's and OOOOOOO's got the float through in the end. No worries. Everyone wiped the sweat off their brow after they made it out... still inflated. 
 I beat that anyone could guess what happened next. A good old American style BBQ and swimming. 
After everyone left, Taylor and I decided to see a movie. We love the movies and will go at any chance we can. 
The perfect closing to our weekend activities ended with one of the best firework shows i'd ever seen. We arrived and found a spot just minutes before they went off. Although we weren't quite sure which direction they would be going off, we ended up sitting in the perfect spot.

I'm proud to be an American! 

No comments:

Post a Comment